Monday, July 22, 2013

I got the chance to talk to Dr. Dube today about the second half of the research that I am going to conduct this summer! I have already calculated the speeds of enough coronal mass ejections, and have also found the ideal times that they take to reach Earth.  Now, I have to find how long these different coronal mass ejections actually took to reach Earth.  After comparing the ideal time with the actual time, I can then observe the drag effect that is caused by the solar wind.  My goal this summer is to find out the “exponent of the power law” in the equation; a= A (VCME-Vwind)n   The variables of the equation stand for:

a= acceleration
A= constant
VCME= speed of the coronal mass ejection (km/s)
Vwind= speed of the solar wind (km/s)
n= exponent of the power law

By using various data points I will hopefully be able to calculate the “n” variable and fulfill my task for the summer!


I also went to the Color Science Hall to help Maggie Castle complete her senior project! I had to rate 37 different color samples based on how saturated I thought they were.  It was a little confusing at first but I actually thought it was pretty fun, and I am glad I was able to help her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment